Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Memoirs of a Geisha Prediction Piece


Author's note: This is my prediction piece


During Memoirs of a Geisha, Sayuri encounters a man that she knows as the Chairman early on in the book. As I was reading this, and reading all the things that seemed to put a wedge between her and the Chairman, I started to think that no matter what happens, the Chairman will somehow become her danna (ie: a danna is basically a provider for Geisha).

As more and more things seperate the Chairman and Sayuri, I started to think that my prediction may be incorrect, and thought about things that might happen instead of my original prediction. During Sayuri's life, a man named Nobu takes an interest in her early on. Nobu soon begins to make Sayuri's life change drastically, when he starts talking about becoming her danna. This was one of the major wedges that I thought drove Sayuri and the Chairman apart, and I was I was proved correctly when Sayuri informed me that she felt the Chairman and her drifting apart. When Sayuri knows that Nobu will become her danna, she takes drastic measures and decides to basically betray Nobu by having sex with a colonel from America, telling her best friend Pumpkin to have him come and see this happen. But, Pumpkin betrays her and makes the Chairman come instead. This is by far the biggest wedge (or so Sayuri thinks) that drives the Chairman and her apart. When Sayuri returns home to her okiya (ie: Basically a place where Geisha live, and or where they train from a young age), and is horror struck when she gets a call that sats Nobu-san wants to become her danna. Sadly, Sayuri pulls herself together and goes to the tea house to meet Nobu-san, but much to her surprise, the Chairman is waiting for her instead of Nobu-san. Sayuri, quite shocked, sat next to him and asked what was wrong.
The Chairman then announced he would become her danna, and they kissed.
Overall, my enitial prediction was proven correct, and I predicted this as soon as I knew what a danna was.
Thankfully, Nobu-san didn't protest, in fact, he never talked to Sayuri again.

No comments:

Post a Comment