Thursday, January 24, 2013

Comfortably Numb?

“Is there anybody in there?” My manager said, slapping me on the face. “Nod if you can hear me...” He rolled his eyes, “Come on now, I heard you were feeling sick but this is ridiculous... Can you show me where it hurts?”
Heh... I don’t know why he keeps trying, I can’t hear what he’s saying.
I’m not feeling any pain, not really. He’s only coming through in waves, heh, I can only see his lips move.
See, when I was a child, I got a fever... my hands felt like two balloons.
Now I have that feeling again, I can’t explain the sensation, but this isn’t how I am.
“Ok.... Just a little pin prick, there’ll be no more----”
“AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!” I screamed, not knowing why  I screamed.
He sighed, “You may feel a little sick...” He mumbled, “Can he stand up?” He asked the rest of the group around him. They all shrugged, then pulled me up to test it. “That’ll keep him going through the show, come on, we have to go.” He said pulling my arm, tugging me along to the car
But...
I’m not feeling any pain!
I don’t understand, there’s nothing wrong.... I swear there isn’t.
When I had a fever, I got a fleeting glimpse, but when I turned it was gone..
That child has grown, and the dream is gone.
I’ve gone comfortably numb.

2 comments:

  1. I think that this piece will not score very high, because not only is it a creative piece, but I don't think it reaches any of the requirements.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that you did a very thoughtful creative piece though so maybe your second semester teacher might surprise you!

    ReplyDelete